Senior R&D Engineer
Centerline Biomedical, Inc., a medical device start-up with high growth potential, seeks to hire a full-time Senior R&D Engineer to be located at its offices in Cleveland, Ohio. This individual would work across the disciplines of mechanical, electrical, and biomedical engineering as well as computer science and mathematics to help Centerline’s IOPS technology reach its full potential.
Centerline is developing healthcare solutions to bring the next generation of imaging, navigation, predictive analytics, training, and robotics to minimally invasive surgery. Endovascular surgical procedures presently rely on x-ray fluoroscopy, which exposes patients and caregivers to harmful radiation while providing limited 2D imaging. Our first product, IOPS™ (the Intra-Operative Positioning System), expected to be launched in 2018, delivers accurate 3D navigation without the use of ionizing radiation or contrast medium thus allowing surgeons to navigate within the arteries much like using a GPS, minimizing exposure to cancer-causing radiation and toxic contrast dye. Our IOPS™ technology aims at improving patient outcomes, reducing radiation exposure, simplifying complex procedures, increasing throughput and lowering healthcare costs driving better margins as well as improving utilization and profitability of surgical rooms and medical personnel. In future, Centerline’s platform technology will address multiple applications such as endovascular aortic repair, peripheral artery disease, coronary intervention and stenting, carotid aneurysm, cerebral aneurysm, and electrophysiology, etc.
Centerline, a Cleveland Clinic spin-off housed in the Global Cardiovascular Innovation Center (GCIC) on Cleveland Clinic’s main campus in Cleveland, Ohio, maintains a close relationship with Cleveland Clinic and has access to the unique resources and environment of the incubator to carry out research and product development with Cleveland Clinic researchers and clinicians.
In keeping with Centerline’s startup nature, the Senior R&D Engineer holds significant responsibilities and enjoys a strong opportunity to contribute and innovate. This individual works as part of a highly-skilled multi-disciplinary team dedicated to achieving the successful commercial launch of a medical device and development of next-generation technologies for multiple applications.
This individual contributes to Centerline’s research, product development, and testing, and has expertise enabling the bridging of software and hardware, capital and consumable equipment, and performance and reliability. The Senior R&D Engineer has a working knowledge of topics clinical, mathematical, algorithmic, electrical, mechanical, and regulatory, allowing a keen understanding of the concepts, possibilities, and limitations of the relevant technical fields. This expertise is especially important as it relates to Centerline’s technology which is heavy on computer graphics, numerical methods, and minimally-invasive surgery.
In addition to handling primary responsibilities, the Senior R&D Engineer works as part of an overall team of flexible and capable members committed to contributing and growing as needed to fulfill the company’s mission.
- Developing a deep understanding of clinical and market needs in order to innovate effective solutions and plan future products
- Undertaking research and applications development including designing, modifying, prototyping, testing, and implementing components of Centerline’s technology
- Developing plans to achieve results, following sound practice with respect to project management, resource planning, budgeting, and deliverables
- Working effectively within a diverse group of technical and non-technical personnel, combining independent work with teamwork to achieve results
- Preparing and/or contributing to grant applications to federal agencies and other entities for research, product development and commercialization
- Contributing to regulatory clearance, quality assurance, product launch, user experience management and other activities, as and when needed
- Providing technical guidance and support to team members as needed
- Advanced degree in a relevant science, engineering or mechanical field
- At least 10 years of experience developing medical devices with software and hardware components
- Demonstrated capacity to bridge between technical fields and work closely with engineers of varying specialties
- Experience prototyping medical software algorithms using numerical processing toolkits such as MATLAB or Mathematica
- Experience working within a quality management system
- Experience with medical images and medical imaging
- Experience in project management, resource planning, budgeting, and delivery of milestones within budget and under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communications and presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills and willingness to develop understanding of relevant concepts in medicine and engineering
- Commitment to learn new skills and tools as they become relevant
- Flexibility and ability to self-start on new tasks, problem-solving with minimal supervision in the context of multiple tasks with deadlines and budgets
- Ability to work in and/or lead a cross-functional team, supporting colleagues while drawing support as well in order to achieve team goals.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
- Doctoral degree in a relevant science, engineering, or mechanical field
- Experience working successfully in a startup company environment to launch novel and innovative products
- Experience developing with C and C++, for and in Windows and Linux environments, and with embedded systems
- Experience with ISO 13485, IEC 60601, and ISO 14971
- Experience with DICOM, computer graphics, and image processing
- Experience with user support and supply chain management
- Demonstrated experience with technical writing and grantsmanship